A lot of good people I know grumble that the House Republicans don't try to impeach Obama. I usually don't say much in response. After the disaster of the ill-conceived Clinton impeachment fiasco, impeachment seems like a superstition. Like a unicorn. I think impeachment is a dangerous tool and should never be used for political purposes.
Besides, Harry Reid's Senate wouldn't consider articles of impeachment if they included NSA video of Obama throwing adorable, drooling toddlers off the George Washington Bridge.
Even further, I'm not sure that he's committed a crime worthy of removal from office.
Until now, that is.
The Bergdahl terrorist exchange changes everything in my view. Everything.
Here's what we know about the bizarre and troubling Bergdahl-for-murderers swap:
- Bergdahl's fellow soldiers call him a deserter and believe he could be a traitor
- Bergdahl was never listed as a Prisoner of War
- 14 US soldiers were lost searching for Bergdahl after Bergdahl voluntarily and without permission deserted his unit in a time of war
- Obama violated federal law by negotiating with terrorists release suspects of crimes against humanity without informing Congress
- Bergdahl's father chanted Muslim prayers as he stood beside Obama at the press conference
- Bob Bergdahl claims he's on a mission to "free all Guantanamo prisoners"
- The Gitmo terrorists Obama freed are "the worst of the worst"
The United States has lost 2,323 troops in Afghanistan. Fourteen of them were reportedly lost looking for Bergdahl in the weeks after Bergdahl deserted--a crime punishable by death in wartime.
Meanwhile, the Obama administration's Susan Rice extolled Bergdahl's honor and heroism on the Sunday talk shows. This was the same Susan Rice who lied to the nation about the video tape after the Benghazi 9/11 massacre. Soldiers who served with Bergdahl prior to his desertion are "appalled" that anyone would call Bergdahl a "hero."
Add it all up, and you have a pretty clear case. Obama dishonored every man and woman who ever wore the uniform with honor. He released enemy combatants to return to the field of battle and kill more innocents. He did so on behalf of an Army deserter with dubious allegiance to the United States and whose actions reportedly took the lives of 14 soldiers.
For these crimes against the United States and by aiding and abetting terrorists wanted for crimes against humanity, I now want the House of Representatives to start impeachment hearings against the President. The next Congress would have to hold the hearings and trial, but this Congress can get the ball rolling.
The Obama Administration has insulted millions of American service members and veterans. It traded terrorists for one deserter. The President broke the law in his quest to aid the enemy or to make himself look like a badass or whatever. I don't really care what his motives are. I just want him punished for his crimes.